Lefkada or Lefkas is an island of the Ionian Sea and together with the islands of Corfu, Kefalonia, Zakynthos and Ithaca constitute the region of the Ionian Islands. It is the fourth largest island in the Ionian Sea (320 km²) and the fourth in a population of about 25,000. Lefkada, along with the island of Meganisi, is the prefecture of Lefkada, based in the city of Lefkada.
Due to its geographical position (its coasts are very close to those of mainland Greece, separated by the historic strait of Drepanos) it is connected to Aitoloakarnania with a floating bridge about 20 meters long. Together with Evia are the two unique islands in Greece, accessible by road.
1 km outside the city and just across the floating bridge (about 40 meters from the opening) is the Venetian castle of Agia Mavra. The castle is a standard of fortification art.
Inside the city there is the archaeological museum, which houses works of art, as well as finds from the Paleolithic period to Roman times and Lefkada Marina, which is considered one of the largest and the most organized in the Mediterranean.
At the entrance of the city, next to the harbor, there is the famous park of poets (the locals usually call it Bosketto), which hosts the busts of: Valaoritis, Sikelianos, Hern, Dimitrios Golemis, Klearetis Dipla-Malamos, who left the era with their artistic aura and their wonderful works.
But it is worth walking on the wooden bridge that is built above the canal, located just off the pedestrian street with its café-bar, next to the city’s harbor. The inhabitants call it a bridge of sighs or a bridge of lovers. It was built in the beginning of the previous decade and its architecture gives Venetian air to the city.
On the beach of Gyra, near the city, there are four windmills of the twelve old ones, which until the end of the 20th century grated large quantities of grain, mainly from Russia.
Near the village of Frini, just outside the town is the Monastery of Faneromeni, which is a museum of ecclesiastical art. Two kilometers south of the city there is the area of Kalligion, which includes the ruins that survive from the prehistoric city of Nike. This site has been declared an archaeological site.
Apart from these, the visitor can also experience the beautiful natural landscapes that the island has. The beaches of inexhaustible beauty, for which Lefkada is known worldwide, many of which have been repeatedly voted by tourist guides as the best in the Mediterranean, with Porto Katsiki and Egremni more known, are the attraction of many millions of tourists around the world . There are also the waterfalls in Dimosari, just outside Nydri, as well as the Melissa Gorge in the municipality of Sfakioti.
Cape Lefkata, located at the southernmost end of the island, is indissolubly linked to its history and admires visitors.
Lefkada is a popular destination and has countless reasons to invite you near:
• Because it is the only island with the easiest access. Parts of the EGNATIA road and the underground tunnel PREVEZA – AKTIOU serve the visitor from NR. Hellas. The island ‘s floating bridge, 50 meters long, makes it accessible to the visitor, from anywhere, even though it comes, which also costs time and money, because it does not incur ferryboats and ships.
•Because the beaches of the island (Porto Katsiki, Egremni, Gialos, Pefkoulia, Kathisma, Mylos, Ai Giannis, Gyra, Kastro, Mikros Gialos, Agiofylli etc) are among the most beautiful of the Mediterranean.
• Because it is close to the large Aktion International Airport and the ports of Igoumenitsa and Patras, which are the largest entry gates from western and central Europe.
• Because it offers a state-of-the-art Marina, 600 berths.
• Because each visitor is impressed with the lush splendor of this corner of Greece. In Lefkada nature and unique culture unfold in every step unparalleled magic and the beauty of our country awaits you with an immense variety of natural scenery that blends harmoniously with the sea and the mountain.
• Because twenty-four small and bigger islands are scattered in the sea and form the Prefecture of Lefkada, and this all-embracing archipelago with the variety of landscape and its peculiarities is a challenge for everyone to explore.
• Because in the search of the beautiful beaches of our island, many choices can cover your time: sailing, wind surf, kite surf, water ski, jet ski, beach volley, diving and fishing are some of the activities which will make you forget about any problems and give yourself unique and unforgettable moments of enjoyment.
• Because in our island the choice of entertainment and food is made through a wide range of offers. Self-catering accommodation with great choice is offered. All the accommodation offered is new, has good architecture, amenities and modern infrastructure. Simply traditional, furnished rooms and luxurious modern hotels make up a dreamy setting and wait for the visitor for as many days to seek the peace and sensual summer charm of Lefkada.
• Because in Lefkada there are more than 30 Cultural Associations with rich action, with traditional dances, choirs, mandolinas, cantatres with pan-Hellenic and international visibility.
• Because Lefkada is the island where the “bang from the sea, the pine tree throes” has eaten some of the most sensual poetic souls and some of the leading artists and scientists in Greece as well as on an international scale. Aristotle Valaoritis, our national poet, was inspired and cheered on the islet of Madouri. Lefkada was also the source of inspiration for the ecumenical poet Angelos Sikelianos – the inspirer of the Delphic Idea – the historian Spyros Zambelios – founding member of the Philiki Society – the newest historian Nikos Svoronos, the world-famous expressionist painter Theodoros Stamos, the leading lyricist artist Agni Balsa.Lefkada was also born the National Poet of Japan Lefkadios Hern or Iakoumi Koizumi.
Papambles are still the cases of Lefkada’s remarkable scholars, University professors, politicians, journalists, musicians and so on. with global and international radiation.
• Because of its operation in Lefkada since 1850, its Philharmonic. This active Society has contributed greatly to the development of the music education of the Lefkadians.
• Because of the year 1955 the Logos and Art festivals were established in Lefkada, in the smaller capital of the prefecture of Greece. Theater, music, exhibitions, conferences, poetry evenings culminate every summer and enhance the cultural tradition of our island.
• Since 1962, the International Folklore Festival was established, and every August the island’s streets are filled with dancers from all over the planet and set up the “Great Dance”, the Peace of Peace and the Peace of Peoples.
• Why rich customs and traditions await you to participate actively and have fun.
• Because it offers the visitor many interesting sights (Castle, Museums, Libraries, Churches, Monasteries, etc.).
• Why is the heart of Greek hospitality in Lefkada? Nature gave it generously. She gave her natural beauty. She embroidered her with beautiful sandy beaches and emerald sea. People added just what is necessary to make your stay unforgettable. One is sure that Lefkada has such a wealth of choices during your stay on the island so that your departure from everyday life is surely full of pleasant and unique experiences.
With STUDIOS NIKI you can experience them and enjoy them. We are waiting for you